Saturday, April 26, 2014

I Am A Shining Star

Christmas Trifle
Elyzabeth reporting.

At the end of this post, you have got to check out the blast from the past, vintage 2006, Next Food Network Star three minute video entry. I cannot believe how cute Mum and I are.

I bring this up because I just put in an application to be on one of my favorite Food Network shows, Chopped. Can you just see it? Hail to the conquering Chopped Champion! I can almost taste the victory.

Mum and I love that show. As soon as we see the secret ingredients revealed, we race to come up with a dish.  Hey Food Network, she and I would be great on a "Family Feud" episode of Chopped.

So, listen up Food Network! I can roast a whole pig, I can my own produce, and I would make you cheesecake for the dessert round. I think it would be amazing to be on Chopped. Pick me, pick me!  And watch that video, we are adorable.

In a few sentences, please share your story: Tell us who you are and your current situation.:I am unable to work outside the home, because I have Fibromyalgia. My retired mother came to live with us some years ago, after I was diagnosed. She does many of everyday things around the house I cannot do with any consistency. She and I are both great cooks and when we get together in the kitchen, we can turn out a feast. I think Mum and I would have a great time on a Family Feud episode of Chopped. 
Salmon on Salt
Describe your background/history-where are you from?:When I was in my 20's I spent some years traveling around doing Renaissance Festivals. My mother thought it seemed like so much fun, she left her executive position and joined in. In the end, she actually stayed in the career longer than I did. Later, I settled down to raise my family and worked for years in the Financial Services industry, which was indeed boring, but at least I could afford to buy food. No kidding, Rennies are all broke!
List family members and note any that may be involved in the culinary industry:None currently, but my brother used to be a chef. 
Why do you like to cook? Who do you cook for and how often?:My family eats home cooked meals every day. I've always enjoyed cooking for family, friends and strangers. Every day on the Ren Faire circuit is like an extreme Chopped episode. No kitchen, not a lot of money, but a lot of hungry people. What can I make for dinner for 6 people with $5 and nothing but an electric wok? Being a working mother was also similar to being on Chopped: look in the pantry and fridge and what can I whip out for dinner in less than 30 minutes, with just what's on hand.
Do you cook professionally? If so, where, and in what capacity?:Never been a professional. Oh, but I wrote a cookbook when I was 24. It's called "Family Recipes" and every member of my family has a copy. Even my daughter-in-law, who wasn't born yet when I wrote it.
If you are not a professional chef, list any goals past or present regarding cooking professionally.:I've sent in a few entries for the Next Food Network Star. I have a dynamic personality, great enthusiasm and not a trace of camera shyness. And I would love to write another cookbook. Maybe I will call it "More Family Recipes".
Describe your cooking style and any specialty dishes.:I have a broad range of styles. I love to cook southern comfort food, tex-mex, asian, italian, thai, and more. I have dabbled in just about every ethnic cooking style. Unless it\'s a special occasion, I avoid fussy dished that require a lot of prep work. I have over a hundred cookbooks, but rarely follow a recipe. For me, cooking is about the journey as much as the meal. I smoke my own bacon, I have a
Backyard Pig Roast
southwestern beef brisket to die for and my shrimp and polenta is amazing. 

Describe ingredients you love, simple to exotic. What do you experiment with and how do you use it?: I love to experiment with exotic ingredients and spices. Ethnic markets are a big favorite of mine. I also love fresh vegetables. We have a crazy farmers market in a town near here. You can drive through, and they sell by the crate. Just roll down your window, and ask \"how much for the crate of..." tomatoes, squash, peppers, corn, whatever looks good that day. Negotiate a price and they will load it in the trunk and you never needed to get out of the car. 
What are you like in the kitchen when you are cooking?:Cooking should be fun and social. A glass of wine and good company. Our cooking styles are different, but when Mum and I get in there together we work in harmony. When I cook for a big occasion, like Thanksgiving, I plan everything out ahead of time, prep as much ahead as I can, and then when T-day rolls around, I just throw myself into the frenzy of cooking. Love it!
Discuss some of the results/rewards of your cooking, the ways your culinary work has touched others.:I have always loved to share my cooking with others. We love to have friends over and cook a big feast. The more people I can cook for, the happier I am. I have always found it very gratifying when someone asks for my recipe for something (even if I don\'t have one). I have had a few friends who never thought they could learn to cook until they joined me in the kitchen and saw how fun and rewarding it can be.How would your friends/family describe you?:A little different. Confident in who I am. Interesting in all the right ways.
Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake
List any cooking competition experience.:I have sent in a few recipes to cooking competitions. Thus far nothing has come of it. Since I rarely work with recipes, and I rarely write down what I have put in a dish, it\'s always a little different each time.
Describe your passions/hobbies besides cooking:My Fibromyalgia Syndrome slows me down, but it doesn't stop me. Costuming has always been a big love of mine; fantasy, science fiction, renaissance, medieval. I was in to "Cosplay" before the term had been invented. I also love crafting, decorating and home improvement. I can remodel the kitchen, and then cook in it.
Describe your greatest accomplishment. (Culinary or otherwise):Oh, I have to get sentimental here. My son, Trevor. He is the most awesome person I know. I can't believe I made someone that terrific. I also can't believe he doesn't like cheese. 
What is something that we wouldn't know about you by looking at you?:I usually look like a mild mannered girl next door (middle aged version), but I'm really a wild and crazy woman on the inside.
Why do you think you can be the next Chopped Champion?:Because I can make a wonderful meal out of anything. I see so many chopped competitors say things like "I only work with fresh locally sourced organic ingredients" and then they are presented with the sometimes wacky stuff in the Chopped mystery basket and they have no idea how to proceed. I have been in the position of having no money and needing to make a meal out of things like canned blue cheese escargot and red bean puree.
What would you do with the $10,000 Chopped winnings?:Money has been tight since I've been unable to work. In addition to using the $10k just to help make ends meet, I would do something very special for my husband and mother. My husband has been so supportive of me and my health condition, and he has welcomed my mother into our home. My mother has basically given up her retirement years to help care for me.
We Can Do It

Describe any TV appearances and approximate dates. (Demonstration, competition, documentary or otherwise):When I was in High School, I was in Junior Achievement. One year (1979 if I recall correctly), our corporate sponsor was Channel 7, in Denver CO. Our product was a one hour variety news show for teenagers. Colorado Teen Magazine. I was a roving reporter and was on the show with a special segment every Saturday. I have also been on various news clips on various stations over the many years, because when you have a camera, I will be in front of it. 
In ONE sentence, tell us why the Food Network needs YOU on a special episode of Chopped:You've never had anyone like me on the show before, and I am ratings gold.
How did you hear about the casting?:I was thinking about how great I would do in the Chopped kitchen and I checked the Food Network web site.


1 comment:

  1. Yes! Pick them! Elyzabeth and Ann are amazing cooks with personality galore!

    ReplyDelete